Sunday 4 March 2018

Using Social Media

Week 29: Using social online networks in teaching or professional development

This weeks topic has been one that I have thought about may times, as the use of social media becomes more and more a large part of the world around us.

I myself have been a very reluctant user of social media largely due to the fact that I’m not particularly drawn to this type of networking and I have still yet to be convinced around the security of many social media platforms in a professional sense with my job.

I will focus in on Facebook for the purpose of this activity as it is one social media platform I do use regularly and over the course of the 32 weeks have used it in a more professional manner than previously. I have trialled Twitter and found it rather pointless and am an occasional dabbler into The Pond, which actually is a really good place to go, but sadly I think under utilized.

I first connected in with Facebook 10 years ago, just after the birth of my second son, I was introduced to it by another mother who was highly engaged by this platform and was able to convince me of the may benefits of being a Facebook user. Admittedly 10 years on I am still on Facebook, but very much a watcher more than a contributor and follow just a handful of people, largely to do with Autism and other pages relating to special needs.

I have used Facebook in a professional capability as a member of a group for the local group of teachers doing the Mindlab work, as well as a member of a group of a page set up by the local group of RTLB’s who ran the Incredible Years sessions I attended last year.
Admittedly this is the first time I have actively participated online in such a group and I found the experiences very useful and added a connection to other people’s ideas, thoughts and direction outside of my local school environment.

It is great to be able to link in with others virtually any time of the day, and someone has an answer to questions. If the first responder to a question doesn’t have an answer, they usually ask questions that draw out more meaning and information from the person posting the question and quite long and informative discussions can be had.

It doesn’t matter if any of the group are in other parts of the country or overseas and the opportunity to share links to information and ideas others have found is great.

So therefore professionally I have found some use in social media, I do find it hard to relax when responding to things as I am very aware that I am a teacher at a school, a member of the local community and that whilst we may have rules/understandings around privacy etc, there is no way I am going to jeopardise my job or my school.

I do realise that there is a huge potential for the use of social media in my role as a teacher, but I also realise that there is a whole lot of “stuff” that we need to work through.

At my school, all of our students have Blogs set up and regular opportunities are provided for the students to share their learning with family and teachers in a safe and controlled way. It provides a good opportunity to talk about writing comments and the how to ensure what you are saying gives value to another person’s work.

There are many ways social media can be used and there are many advantages and disadvantages. I read this article 10 Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media for Society, which really gave me good “Food for Thought”


I do believe we to make sure that we are teaching our students about safety in social media and I really liked Kathleen Morris’s work around teaching digital citizenship, especially her 10 internet safety tips for students.
























References
, A (2016) 10 Advantages and Disadvantages of Social Media for Society Retrieved from https://www.techmaish.com/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-social-media-for-society/ Updated On: March 10, 2016 

 



2 comments:

  1. Being a responsible responsive participant in the social media network is important in the world we live in and our students are growing up in. Finding a connectedness with others is important, especially when within an area of interest or need. Connecting and sharing within a group with a common goal/interest challenging our thinking and builds upon our knowledge base. The Digital Safety poster is a reminder of how we can responsibly protect our students - a great reminder for all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audrey, I agree, being a responsible and responsive participant in social media is so important and an essential skill we need to teach our students. Its not just about people connecting on social media, but also about how they need to behave and respond, students need to understand the rules, boundaries and social responsibilities and active on line social media users.
      Its our responsibility to help keep our students safe and not turn a blind eye thinking parents and families will do this for us.

      Delete

Change in My Professional Practice

Week 32 Key change in my professional practice It is quite a nice way to finish the last entry in this collection of reflective blogs lo...